Thursday 28 December 2017

Top 5 Places To Eat In Reykjavik - Iceland

Hello... is there anyone out there? It's been a while but I'm still here, promise! Life has been a little bit hectic lately but in the best possible way. Adam and I recently came back from our very first holiday, to Iceland. I have wanted to go for so long and with it being the run-up to Christmas it made it extra special. We were lucky enough to see the Northern Lights, experience the Blue Lagoon and appreciate the beautiful views from the Hallgrimskirkja Church. Reykjavik looked so pretty from the top, almost like a toy town with its coloured roofs covered in a sprinkling of snow.

Then of course, came the food. It was excellent but expensive. I didn't expect to pay £7 for a packet of crisps but that's for another day. I have to say we didn't have one bad meal whilst we were there so it was definitely worth it. I've put together my top five recommendations, so if you're heading to Iceland be sure to check at least one of them out.

Braud & Co

First on the list is Braud & Co. This multi-coloured, graffiti adorned building houses a pretty amazing bakery. The pastries were literally glistening from the window as we walked past and the smell was something else (insert drooling emoji). They had just whipped out a fresh batch of cinnamon buns from the oven so we grabbed a couple and ventured up to the Hallgrimskirkja Church. We went back just before heading to the airport to grab a couple more for our journey home. I wish we had more artisan places like this back home, although my waistline probably wouldn't agree.

Reykjavik Chips

Next up is Reykjavik Chips, "where fries are twice as nice" and believe me they really are! Reykjavik Chips had popped up on various social channels when looking for places to eat. We'd just been for a very blustery walk along the seafront after a trip to the Harpa Concert Hall so these chips were a delightful little pick me up. You select your portion size and then your sauce. We went for sweet mustard and garlic which were perfect for sharing.

Ostabudin

I think this was actually my favourite meal. We'd wandered around peering through windows trying to find something we liked the look of and this ticked all the boxes for both of us. The decor, the atmosphere and most importantly the food. Once we'd been back to the hotel and freshened up we headed for dinner at Ostabudin. We started with the Icelandic cheese board which looked beautiful and tasted heavenly. I particularly enjoyed the Icelandic Camembert. Again, we went for the same main, this time it was Goose confit with reindeer meatballs. This was something else! The meat was incredibly rich but the cranberry sauce cut through it perfectly. I would love to try and recreate this one day.

Saeta Svinio Gastropub

I think it was the plastic pig outside this place that caught my eye. I ventured up to look at the menu by the door and the next thing we were being shown to our table. The atmosphere in this place was great. Cosy and ambient, perfect when you've been freezing your bits off outside. We both opted for the rump steak burger sandwiched between a beer-brioche bun with red onion jam, Icelandic cheese, truffle mayo and a generous portion of waffle fries on the side. When it came to dessert we were both pretty stuffed so decided to share. We went for a trio of traditional Icelandic cream puffs. These were basically like profiteroles filled with raspberry, Noa Kropp which is an Icelandic chocolate candy and dulch de leche. They were delicious and a perfect end to the meal.

Laekjarbrekka

We spent our last day exploring Reykjavik and decided to have our last supper at Laekjarbrekka which was just down the road from the hotel. I still hadn't had any fish at this point so I went for the Icelandic salted cod with langoustine whilst Adam opted for the slow cooked lamb shank. We shared a chocolate fondant for dessert which they made from scratch and was utterly delicious. I finished the meal with a cocktail whilst Adam stuck to the Icelandic beer.


I have to say this has to be the best holiday I've ever been on. Amazing place, amazing food and amazing company. I'm already excited to start planning our next holiday, any recommendations would be greatly received.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig